Saturday, July 23, 2011

Book Review: Great Destination Reads

via The Selby
In case anyone is planning a trip to a great destination coming up (or wishing you could go there), I thought I'd provide some of my favorite destination-based books that I have enjoyed over the last few years. 

I have to warn you - these are not light, easy-reading books.  Rather, these are stories that (hopefully) will really draw you into that location and time...which is, to me, what makes a book really worth reading.  Here goes:

Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts - set in India.  One of the best books I have read in a long time, but also very edgy.  It really shows the underbelly of India, so it's a unique read.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - set in civil-rights-era South.  If you haven't read this already, you MUST.

The Spies of Warsaw by Alan Furst - set in World War 2-era Poland.  Great intrigue, colorful characters and lots of politicking!

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende - set in Chile.  A South American woman's transition to America, composed beautifully.

Snowflower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See - set in China,  It's about Chinese foot binding rituals and more.  My feet hurt as I type this!

Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom - set in - obviously - Spain, during the Franco dictatorship. Very mysterious and intriguing.

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman - set in England covering two timeframes in the 20's and the 50's.  A beautifully written mystery and love story that also examines the changing societal norms in England during that time.



I could be pretty darn happy curling up here and enjoying a good book!
If you want to see ideas for cozy reading nooks, you can look here.

What is the best book you have read lately?  I'd love to know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful idea to share your best book reads with your readers.. will have to check into these titles..most definitely Shantaram though..sounds a bit intriguing...
and love the little book nook pic..the colors are so perfect..
maureen

under spanish moss said...

Wow, we adore this reading nook! Thanks for the summer reading list.
Angela and Renee

designchic said...

I've read several of these, but some I have not...can't wait to add a few of these to my collection. Absolutely loved "The Help". Hope you're having a great weekend11

mary said...

I'm reading The Greater Journey--the main characters are Paris and New York----what could be better. The Help is a must read for anyone (especially women) wanting to expand their heart and insight into the '60's
culture of much of the South. I loved the reading nooks.
Mary

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...